Costa Rica’s real estate market is on the rise again and foreign investors are heading to the popular Central American country for retirement or a simpler place to live, or to invest in a Costa Rica vacation home or other property investment. The good news is that foreigners can legally own property in Costa Rica.
Even the savviest home buyer should pause before entering into a real estate deal in a foreign country. There is no way to know everything you need to without years of on-the-ground experience. Whether you are interested in purchasing land, a home, condo or commercial property in Costa Rica, you want to be informed to make the best decisions. This is where you need a professional Costa Rica realtor.
Buying or selling a property anywhere can be a challenge if you are on your own. Buying property in Costa Rica has the added challenges of a different system and language from North America, for instance. Although Costa Rica is considered one of the best Latin American countries regarding foreign investment and ownership rights, there are still things to look out for. Do your property homework, and with a good professional realtor by your side, you’ll be enjoying your new home or life adventure in no time.
Why you should use a real estate agent in Costa Rica
1) You get access to scores of listings, and someone helping you select the right properties to see based on your requirements and interests. In Costa Rica there is no MLS (multiple listing service), which is a centralized, national database of all real estate for sale. If you use a professional Costa Rica real estate agency, you will have access to a diversified portfolio of properties for sale – including properties not yet listed for sale or actively advertised (“pocket listings”). This is especially true in Costa Rica where for sale signs are not commonly used.
2) Real estate agents know the history of a home or property, the location, neighborhood, town and region.
3) You can obtain recommendations for reputable professionals for home and property inspections. Your real estate agent can help you to coordinate these.
4) Real estate agents can help you negotiate a fair purchase price, along with financing, terms, date of possession, and the inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings or equipment. Statistics show that realtors can typically negotiate and save you more money than negotiating on your own.
5) Professional real estate agents will work with a reputable lawyer who specializes in real estate transactions and title searches, and is completely bilingual with experience working with foreign clients.
6) A real estate agent can lead you through the closing process and make sure everything flows together smoothly, so that you come to the closing table with no surprises.
7) Working with a professional realtor helps to alleviate much of the stress involved in purchasing a new home or property. A realtor can help you connect utilities, arrange moving services, purchase furniture, and introduce you to the local community, among other things.
In beautiful Atenas, Costa Rica, the real estate agency Pure Life Development of Atenas specializes in Atenas homes for sale, Costa Rica properties for sale and Costa Rica vacation homes. Atenas, Costa Rica realtors Dennis Easters and Gerardo Gonzalez-Porras are experts in buying and selling real estate in Costa Rica, land development and home construction in Costa Rica.
Both Easters, a licensed realtor from Florida and real estate professional for 22 years, and his Costa Rican partner Gerardo Gonzalez-Porras are certified with the Costa Rica Chamber of Real Estate. They have been successfully helping customers find new homes in Atenas, Costa Rica for 10 years.
Article by Shannon Farley