Tourists from all over the world come to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica to enjoy the spectacular beaches, lush jungle and warm tropical climate. Santa Teresa beachfront hotel Tropico Latino operates as a sustainable tourism business to keep its beautiful setting as pristine as possible.
Your travel choices do make a difference in the world. Join Hotel Tropico Latino in celebrating World Tourism Day 2017 this month on Sept. 27, which honors sustainable tourism.
Outstanding Sustainable Tourism Efforts by Hotel Tropico Latino
- Under the guidance of Chef Randy Siles, Hotel Tropico Latino is the flagship for Costa Rica’s National Plan for Sustainable and Healthy Gastronomy. Siles is Costa Rica’s international ambassador in the program.
- The hotel hires mostly local residents as staff, ensuring sustainable employment in the small community of Santa Teresa.
- Hotel Tropico Latino implements an initiative called the “Five Dollar Check Out Program” that allows guests to add an optional charge on their bill at the end of their stay to fund community and environmental initiatives in Santa Teresa. For the price of a smoothie in Santa Teresa, guests can help keep area beaches clean and assist other community initiatives.
- Hotel Tropico Latino supports Costa Rica’s Ecological Blue Flag Program for Santa Teresa’s beaches through their Five Dollar Checkout Program. It’s easy to see that area beaches have been awarded Costa Rica’s Ecological Blue Flag for environmental purity.
- Hotel Tropico Latino operates an intensive recycling program, collecting and separating waste from special bins in the hotel’s guestrooms, offices, restaurant and kitchen, and public areas.
- Cooking grease is collected in the hotel’s kitchen and is turned into cooking gas for the local Tourism Police precinct using a biodigester at local company Viogaz.
- All organic waste is composted into fertilizer for the hotel’s gardens.
- The hotel is working toward eliminating all disposable plastic such as plastic bottles, straws, etc. They use biodegradable bamboo straws for smoothies and drinks in the restaurant.
- Only biodegradable soaps, shampoos, laundry detergents, and cleaning products are used at the hotel.
- Microorganisms in hotel septic tanks help control odors, degrade waste better and make the system more efficient.
- Energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances help reduce electricity use.
You don’t have to trade comfort to be environmentally conscious on vacation. Voted No. 2 of 26 Santa Teresa hotels on TripAdvisor, Hotel Tropico Latino features “barefoot luxury” with excellent service on the gorgeous white sand beach of Playa Carmen. The beachfront Santa Teresa hotel’s stylish and comfortable accommodations, beachfront spa and yoga deck, and notable restaurant all complete your stay. Perfect surfing waves are right out front in the blue Pacific Ocean.
In September and October, Hotel Tropico Latino is offering big savings of 50% off all room rates with breakfast included. It’s the perfect opportunity for a much-needed vacation in Costa Rica.
Article by Shannon Farley