- Eco-friendly destination: Costa Rica managed to run on renewable energy for 76 straight days, and a total of 150 days during 2016. The goal for 2017 is to add megawatts from wind power, as well as energy from a private solar plant, to work towards improving these numbers. Costa Rican Christiana Figueres founded and became the director of the Center for Sustainable Development In the Americas, in order to promote participation of Latin American countries in the Climate Change Convention. She was later named a negotiator for the United Nations on Climate Change. Visit Costa Rica and learn why it is a leader in the fight against global warming.
- Surf destination: Costa Rica hosted the World Surfing Games in August 2016 in Playa Jacó, and it boasts some of the best surfers in the world. Playa Guiones and Tamarindo in Guanacaste, Playa Hermosa in the Central Pacific Area and Salsa Brava on the Caribbean Coast are just some of the places where surfers flock to depending on their experience levels. Check out the waves for yourself and see what makes it such an attractive surf destination.
- Golf: Costa Rica is hosting its first-ever PGA Tournament in 2017 in Playa Conchal, Guanacaste as part of the PGA Latin America season. Visit Costa Rica’s world class golf courses in the Northern and Central Pacific Coasts as well as in the Central Valley and discover why it is becoming a premier golf destination worldwide.
- Active volcanoes: For many years the Arenal Volcano in Northern La Fortuna was the star of the show, spewing volcanic materials almost every day and allowing for tremendous lava shows, especially on a clear night. The Arenal has been asleep for five years, but is still a beautiful sight to see, with its perfect volcanic cone. Turrialba volcano exploded several times during 2016 and is expected to continue spewing ash, incandescent rocks and gas in the new year. Watch the show from a safe distance in the province of Cartago.
- Envision Festival: Did you know Costa Rica hosts one of the top Festivals in the World? Envision is held in Uvita, Southern Pacific Zone. The festival defines itself as a celebration providing a place where different cultures can share and inspire each other through art, yoga, music, spirituality, dance and sustainability. The lineup for 2017 includes Rising Appalachia, Goldfish and Costa Rican bands like Santos&Zurdo.
Get inspired with these places to visit in Costa Rica and events and activities to enjoy while there in 2017, there will surely be more excitement to come!
Article by Katie Widdowson